excursions are wonderful experiences for students and staff alike. They enhance
what is done in the classrooms, and teach students about respect,
responsibility and resilience.
to offer a range of activities to students throughout the year, to provide
opportunities not otherwise possible given our remote location.
traditionally offered include:
- Year 7 - action camp - with focus on physical
activity, camping, and teamwork.
- Year 10 - career camp - with focus on options beyond
school - visits to learning institutions and cultural experiences.
- Year 11 - leadership camp - normally to Brisbane -
many activities building leadership, resilience, determination and goal setting
(safe driving course, Story Bridge climb, and much more)
- James Cook University - focus on tertiary entrance
- Biology - Fraser Island trip
- G’day USA - overseas experience
QMEA sponsored Trade camps:
- MINT (Make It Now in Trade) - focus is on trades in
- MINE (Make It Now in Engineering) - focus is on
university linked positions within mining.
All camps and excursions are done at cost price. Expressions of interest
are issued, to determine if sufficient numbers intend to participate, before
final costings are done. The cost of offering camps such as these are quite
high, given our location. Every effort is made to keep costs to a minimum.
Refunds are not given if a student withdraws from a camp, after indicating the
intention to attend (unless there are extreme extenuating circumstances).
Recognition of the additional work and responsibility required of staff
to plan, coordinate and deliver these camps is essential.